Am I entitled to spousal support?

If one spouse serves as the primary breadwinner of the family, the other spouse may focus more on taking care of the home and raising the children. Because of these responsibilities, the other spouse may choose to work part-time, take on a less demanding job, or not work outside of the home.

If the couple decides to get divorced, it is often more difficult for a spouse who does not work a full-time job outside of the home to become self-sufficient and maintain their standard of living without the support of their higher-earning spouse.

Spousal support intended to help lesser-earning spouses

Stay-at-home spouses or lesser-earning spouses may be entitled to spousal support from their ex. California courts may award temporary or long-term spousal support depending on several factors including the length of the marriage and the earning capacity of the lesser-earning spouse at the time of the divorce.

For example, a mother or father who has been married for 20 years and a stay-at-home parent for 15 years, may not be able to jump right back into the workforce, even if they worked prior to having children. They may need temporary spousal support from their ex to hold them over until they can further their education, acquire additional job skills, and find a job to support themselves.

If you are seeking spousal support in your divorce, it may be beneficial to speak to an attorney. Your attorney can give you a realistic picture as to how much spousal support to expect, if any and for how long.