Sorting Out Complex Assets For Divorce Property Settlements
In today’s world, many people have often obtained significant assets prior to getting married. Over the course of a marriage, separate assets are often commingled (mixed), and sorting out the original value of the property or the future value of the investments becomes extremely complicated. If you are considering filing for divorce in the San Francisco Bay Area and you are concerned about equitable distribution of your complex estate, turn to our team at Rodriguez Lagorio, LLP, for sound legal counsel.
Not Every Asset Can Be Converted To Cash For Simple Distribution
Although California is a community property state, laws regarding the valuation and classification of property are very complex.
Some of the complexities of property division in California include:
- Uncovering hidden assets
- Commingled separate assets originally protected by a prenuptial agreement
- Inherited money by one spouse during the marriage
- Business partnership shares
- Professional practice and small-business property valuation
- Business and personal debt
- Future value of a professional license obtained during the marriage
- Foreign investment holdings
- Shareholdings of employee stock options
- Pension annuities, 401(k) and other qualified retirement accounts
- Commercial real estate investments
- Vacation property ownership, timeshare ownership
- Property and inheritance claims from previous marriages
- Assets placed in revocable and irrevocable trusts
Office In Fremont For Your Convenience
No family law lawyer can claim to be an expert in every detail of dividing complex property. We work with a network of qualified specialists in their fields of property valuation and finance to make sure your rights and financial interests are fully protected throughout your divorce.
If you are concerned about protecting your financial interests in your pending divorce, will you be able to trust your attorney? At Rodriguez Lagorio, LLP, our attorneys place a premium on building trust and confidence with every client. We can also assist you with exploring options through mediation. Call us at 925-750-8757 or send an email to arrange an opportunity to meet with our attorneys as soon as possible.